Bro. Stephen Powell August 27, 2023
3 I THANK MY GOD IN ALL MY REMEMBRANCE OF YOU,
4 ALWAYS IN EVERY PRAYER OF MINE FOR YOU ALL MAKING MY PRAYER WITH JOY,
5 BECAUSE OF YOUR PARTNERSHIP IN THE GOSPEL FROM THE FIRST DAY UNTIL NOW.
6 AND I AM SURE OF THIS, THAT HE WHO BEGAN A GOOD WORK IN YOU WILL BRING IT TO COMPLETION AT THE DAY OF JESUS CHRIST.
7 IT IS RIGHT FOR ME TO FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT YOU ALL, BECAUSE I HOLD YOU IN MY HEART, FOR YOU ARE ALL PARTAKERS WITH ME OF GRACE, BOTH IN MY IMPRISONMENT AND IN THE DEFENSE AND CONFIRMATION OF THE GOSPEL.
8 FOR GOD IS MY WITNESS, HOW I YEARN FOR YOU ALL WITH THE AFFECTION OF CHRIST JESUS.
9 AND IT IS MY PRAYER THAT YOUR LOVE MAY ABOUND MORE AND MORE, WITH KNOWLEDGE AND ALL DISCERNMENT,
10 SO THAT YOU MAY APPROVE WHAT IS EXCELLENT, AND SO BE PURE AND BLAMELESS FOR THE DAY OF CHRIST,
11 FILLED WITH THE FRUIT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS THAT COMES THROUGH JESUS CHRIST, TO THE GLORY AND PRAISE OF GOD.
Paul’s Thankfulness (v3-6)
- Paul was grateful to and for the church.
- Paul was thankful for the church here because of their mutual love and fellowship is the gospel.
- The Philippians “partnered” with Paul in his spreading of the gospel through their friendship and financial support.
- Joy does not depend on outward circumstances, but real joy depends upon the inward condition of the individual.
Paul’s Confidence (v6)
- Paul also expressed his confidence in God’s ability to complete that work he started in the church.
- This work in the believer will not be finally complete until the day of Jesus Christ.
- Strive to the end. Trust in the Lord!
- It was Paul’s prayer that the Philippians’ love for other believers would abound.
- But that love should be more than sentimental emotions.
- Paul’s prayer for the Philippians was that they would be unified in love. Their love was based, not on feelings, but on what Christ had done for them.